Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Little House Guests {Playhouse Makeover by Averie Lane}


I can't wait for you to see today's tour, in our tour extravaganza this week! It's a little something special...it's a high benefit, low cost, shed makeover from the AMAZING AMBER of AVERIE LANE. Amber is one of my first blogging friends and she has been a an inspiration both on a DIY and personal level. 

You know that I'm always about making spaces really WORK for you..Amber's Playhouse is an excellent example of taking something and making it a usable space for your little ones. 
Thank you, Amber, for sharing your mad skills here at Commona My House! 
--------------

Hi everyone, I'm Amber from Averie Lane! I am SUPER excited that Amy is having me here today. She is the sweetest and I have to say I am so blessed to have her in my life (even if we haven't been able to meet in person yet!) 
A little about me... I'm a stay-at-home mom with two toddlers and another baby on the way! When I am not doing the mommy thing, you will find me painting signs or doing design work for clients. My husband and I love to dumpster dive, thrift, yard sale and salvage- we have been pretty DIY happy since the new year building a bed, ottoman and baby gate for our new house! I tend to come up with crazy hair brained projects and he is kind enough to tolerate help me make them reality! If you want to know more about why I blog you can read about me here! 

Don't you love all the house tours and inspiration that Amy showcases!?  Today I am sharing a whole house tour as well - albeit on a MUCH smaller scale!
Tiny Playhouse with mint green cabinets, coral painted floor , chalkboard wainscoting and vintage accessories.



Last summer, in between moving real houses, I was able to tackle a makeover on the playhouse at my parents property. The outside has been done for a couple years, but the inside was pretty shabby. 
Playhouse Tour - Exterior
You can see the before pictures HERE.
After a lot of elbow grease, a couple quarts of paint ($6 total since it was a discontinued brand!), one can of chalkboard paint and several key yard sale finds, the interior has become one of my favorite spaces EVER!
Let's take a tour!
The Kitchen...
We unified a hodge podge of hand built kitchen pieces with mint green paint inspired by my mom's vintage enamelware collection.
 Playhouse with mint green cabinets, coral painted floor, chalkboard wainscoting and vintage accessories.
The Library/Den... We added shelves to an awkward nook and a faux fireplace mantel- complete with a chalkboard fire!
Built in bookcases and faux chalkboard fireplace.
Chalkboard fireplace and vintage accessories.
and Dining Room...
The catalyst for the makeover was this darling vintage salesman sample cafe set that we scored at a yard sale! I intially had plans of repainting it, but I'm so glad I held off! I love how it pops against the mint green cabinets and the coral floor!
Playhouse with mint green cabinets, coral painted floor, chalkboard wainscoting and vintage accessories.
We also added some "architecture" to the room by painting a chalkboard wall to look like wainscoting.
Playhouse with mint green cabinets, coral painted floor, chalkboard wainscoting and vintage accessories.
The most challenging (and back breaking) part was hand painting the plywood floor to look like vintage linoleum, but it was worth it and now might just be my favorite part!
Plywood floors painted to look like vintage linoleum.
Want to see more details and hear about how we pulled this off!? Come by my blog and read the whole story and see tons more pictures at  www.AverieLane.com!  Or you can Follow Me any of these ways...
A big thanks to Amy for having me here today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment